Who We Are
Aurora is a nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the homeless and near homeless in the Greater Evansville, IN area. Each year, we serve over 500 individuals: men, women, children, those with disabilities, and the re-entry population.
In 2016 Aurora was named “Non-Profit of the Year” by the Chamber and in 2017 “Organization of the Year” by Leadership Evansville. Aurora was also named a United Way Partner Agency in 2011.
Mission & Vision
We believe that everyone has value. We believe in a “Housing First” and hands-on, strength-based approach to service delivery.
Aurora pledges to be actively involved in:
- Direct Services: Providing services to the homeless and near homeless in our community
- Prevention: Promoting services that prevent homelessness
- Community Awareness: Educating the community on homelessness
- Collaboration: Facilitating collaboration among agencies, churches, schools, business, etc.
- Advocacy: Advocating for the social and economic changes necessary to make ending homelessness a reality.
Our Core Values
- Collaboration: Working together, united in action
- Vision: The ability to dream and serve as a catalyst
- Integrity: Interactions are based on Social Work Code of Ethics, honoring HMIS Privacy Practices
- Competence: Emphasis on training, use of evidence-based practices
- Passion: Enthusiasm, strong desire, extravagant fondness
- Determination: Strongly motivated to succeed
- Compassion: Understanding that the experience of homelessness can result in emotional distress, including trauma
Stephanie Stone, President
Old National Bank
Paul Green, Vice President
Retired Business Manager/ Financial Secretary at IBEW Local 16
Chaz Halsell, Treasurer
Fifth Third Bank
Andrew Cope, Secretary
Liberty Federal Credit Union
Members of the Board
- Elliott Kavanaugh, First Bank
- Elissa Hewins, Social Security Admin
- Tanya Schmitt, Heritage Federal Credit Union
- Amber Heath, ECHO Community Health Care
- Murphy Hall, Southwestern Behavioral
- Randy Goodwin, Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 136
- Clay Ellerbrook, Hafer
- Stephen Ralph, Evansville Christian Life Center
- Kelsey Blackgrave, Deaconess Health Systems
- Chadd Huffman, Homes by Huffman, Past President
- Zach Martin, Woodward Realty
- Adam Grant, Ascension St. Vincent
Zachary Heronemus, MPA, was appointed Executive Director by the Board of Directors and joined Aurora, Inc. in January 2020. He leads the agency’s strategic direction, serves as the chief development officer, and supports its team of professionals who work to prevent and end homelessness in Evansville and the surrounding community. These efforts include Aurora’s valued Rapid-Rehousing, Re-Entry, Permanent Supportive Housing, Housing First, Diversion, and Homeless Street Outreach Programs.
Re-Entry Team Lead