How we respect privacy when we deal with personal information collected by our organization
If you have any comments or questions about this notice, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Personal data that we process
The following table explains the types of data we collect and the legal basis, under current data protection legislation, on which this data is processed.
|Purpose||Data (key elements)||Basis|
|Enquiring about our organization and its work||Name, email, message||Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to read and store your message so that we can respond in the way that you would expect.|
|Subscribing to email updates about our work||Name, email||Consent – you have given your active consent.|
|Making a donation||Name, email, address, payment information||Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfil your intention of donating money and your expectation of receiving a confirmation message.|
|Website functionality||Website activity collected through cookies||Legitimate interests– it is necessary for us to store a small amount of information, usually through cookies, to deliver functionality that you would expect, such as remembering the contents of your order before you have fully completed the process.|
2. How we use your data
We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected, as set out in the table at the top of this policy.
For example, we may use your personal information to:
- reply to enquiries you send to us;
- handle donations or other transactions that you initiate;
- where you have specifically agreed to this, send you marketing communications by email relating to our work which we think may be of interest to you.
3. When we share your data
We will only pass your data to third parties in the following circumstances:
- you have provided your explicit consent for us to pass data to a named third party;
- we are using a third party purely for the purposes of processing data on our behalf and we have in place a data processing agreement with that third party that fulfils our legal obligations in relation to the use of third-party data processors; or
- we are required by law to share your data.
4. How long we keep your data
We take the principles of data minimization and removal seriously and have internal policies in place to ensure that we only ever ask for the minimum amount of data for the associated purpose and delete that data promptly once it is no longer required.
Where data is collected on the basis of consent, we will seek renewal of consent at least every three years.
5. Rights you have over your data
You have a range of rights over your data, which include the following:
- Where data processing is based on consent, you may revoke this consent at any time and we will make it as easy as possible for you to do this (for example by putting ‘unsubscribe’ links at the bottom of all our marketing emails).
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information.
- You have the right of access to your information.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed.
If you would like to access the rights listed above, or any other legal rights you have over your data under current legislation, please get in touch with us.
Please note that relying on some of these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, where possible we will always try to allow the maximum access to your rights while continuing to deliver as many services to you as possible.
6. Cookies & usage tracking
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is downloaded on to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies are used by many websites and can do a number of things, e.g. remembering your preferences, recording what you have put in your shopping basket, and counting the number of people looking at a website.
We collect and maintain the following types of donor information:
- contact information: name, organization, complete address, phone number, email address;
- payment information: credit card number and expiration date, and billing information;
- requests to receive periodic updates: e.g., to individuals who request it, we will send periodic mailings and/or e-mails related to specific fund-raising events or appeals, and newsletters.
Aurora uses your information to complete a transaction, communicate back to you, and update you on foundation happenings. Credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes.
Aurora will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to other organizations. We assure you that the identity of all our donors will be kept confidential. Use of donor information will be limited to the internal purposes of Aurora. It is our desire to not send unwanted mail to our donors. Please contact us if you wish to be removed from our mailing list. Email communications provide a mechanism to have your address removed from our contact list.