July 15, 2015
Imagine if you will that you are sitting in your doctor’s office talking to him about an upcoming procedure and he tells you that you will need someone to be in the waiting room during the procedure and also someone to drive you home. For many of you, you have a list of people who you could call mom, dad, sister, brother, spouse, etc.…
May 29, 2015
Yesterday, our entire staff attended a “mandatory” retreat with the goal to bring our team together and to re-establish the bonds that wear down, that only comes with the day to day tasks of dealing with crisis after crisis each day.
A woman from Leadership Evansville, Lynn, and her fabulous assistant, Julie, spoke to us at the Daughters of Charity site about strengthening our relationships within our work family – all to propel us into a performance phase of mastery in the delivering of homeless services and moving from the ordinary to extraordinary.…
April 28, 2015
“My job brought me to Evansville a few years ago. I was content and living comfortably. I wasn’t wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, however I had a lot to be thankful for…roof over my head, car, and a small savings tucked away.
They say nobody is exempt from life’s pitfalls. But for me, let’s just say waking up one day facing homelessness with all of my savings wiped out was inconceivable.…
January 30, 2015
As I think back over the last fifteen years I have so many great memories.
- Taking the staff to New York for a conference and chasing down the hotel van through the streets of Queens so we could get back to the hotel
- Being delayed in Chicago because of weather returning from a conference in Boston with Jenny Ballard who made the extended stay a pure joy
- Seeing so many staff complete their master’s degree, get married or start families
- Parading down Lincoln because our then Executive Director wanted all the staff to see the beautiful Hibiscus blooming outside Penny John’s
- Counting 500,000 pennies at Eastland Mall for Street Relief
- Watching Sharon Hafer drive a 1937 truck that was donated to us that barely had a floorboard out of the parking lot
- Sitting in the Commissioners’ office with Patty Avery and Peggy Bazaldua making sure every word of Destination: Home conveyed the exact thought that was intended
- Being surprised with Luzada Hayes Day in the City of Evansville and the great video – Aug.
December 12, 2014
As I sit here at an empty desk, I’m a ball of emotions, unsure of how to feel exactly, because it is my last day with Aurora. I started my journey (and yes, it truly was a journey…) with Aurora three and half years ago. This was my first leap into the administrative side of social work and the non-profit world.…